The Sprayer Operator’s primary responsibility is to coordinate and execute pesticide applications in a safe and effective manner. This role will be responsible for operating complex equipment as well as managing several elements of the application process. The successful candidate will be skilled in large equipment operation in crop fields, mechanically inclined, and is driven to succeed.
This is a full-time position. In times of high seasonal demands, hours to be worked can largely exceed 40 hours per week. Qualified applicants must be available to work evenings and/or weekends as needed. Work will primarily be performed outdoors, on, and around commercial agriculture equipment and machinery.
Tasteful Selections, LLC, located in Arvin, California, is a specialty potato company whose mission is to delight the consumer with great tasting, easy to prepare, inspirational potato products. A joint venture between RPE, Inc., CSS Farms, Inc. and Plover River Farms, Inc., the company is a vertically integrated farming operation which grows, packs, and markets baby potatoes, fingerlings and seed potatoes. More information can be found at www.TastefulSelections.com.
The Sprayer Operator works with the location Farm Manager and team members to effectively treat up to 10,000 acres for potato and vegetable production annually. The position reports to the Director of Agronomy and will interact daily with farm managers, agronomists, and other farm personnel.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Mix, load, and apply pesticides onto fields in accordance with label required rates and procedures
- Coordinate delivery of pesticide product to field locations
- Serves as primary sprayer for all farm locations
- Operate other farm equipment as needed such as planters, harvesters, etc.
- Utilize the latest ag technology; GPS, precision ag equipment, computer, and smart phone
- Maintain and repair all necessary application equipment
- Calibrate sprayers and chemical application equipment
- Identify crop issues in the field while spraying and communicate observations to farm managers and agronomy team
- Work with land owners and staff in a courteous and professional manner
- Periodically work with agronomists to identify crop pests, undesirable vegetation, and diseases affecting the health of specific crops
- Safely operate agricultural equipment and vehicles
- Maintain records per company protocol and in compliance with CDPR (California Department of Pesticide Regulation) and submit application records for billing purposes
- Maintain work area, chemical storage area, and equipment in a condition that promotes good safety practices and is compliant with CDPR
- Use and maintain all personal protection equipment (PPE) recommended for each work situation
- Responsible for inventory control and recordkeeping
- Performs other duties as assigned