Position Summary Tasteful Selections is seeking applicants for a Director of Agronomy based in Arvin, CA. The Director of Agronomy has significant autonomy and responsibility for managing the agronomy team and supporting the production of baby potatoes across eight growing seasons each year, in various locations.
Tasteful Selections, LLC, located in Arvin, California, is a specialty potato company whose mission is to delight the consumer with great tasting, easy to prepare, inspirational potato products. A joint venture between RPE, Inc., CSS Farms, Inc. and Plover River Farms, Inc., the company is a vertically integrated farming operation which grows, packs, and markets baby potatoes, fingerlings and seed potatoes. More information can be found at www.TastefulSelections.com.
The Director of Agronomy will report directly to the VP of Farm Operations and will work closely with other members of the Farm Team, including the Farm Managers, Planting Manager, Harvest Manager, and Agronomists.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Soil sampling and fertilizer recommendations
- Development and execution of pest management strategies
- Monitor soil moisture and schedule irrigations
- Scout fields on a weekly basis and recommend necessary adjustments to management plans
- Provide agronomic oversight on key farm operations, especially the following:
- Monitor field preparations for planting
- Monitor seed handling and cutting
- Review planter spacing accuracy
- Review and monitor chemical application (coverage and timing)
- Sample plant tissue and soil during the growing season for fertility management
- Complete test digs to estimate yields, size profile, and monitor quality
- Ensure bruise-free handling during harvest
- Maintain data collection records of variety trials
- Develop and conduct R&D experiments to provide insight on key production issues, including new variety evaluation, improving skin set, increasing tuber population per acre, and reducing quality issues in the bag
- Maximize water-use and fertilizer-use efficiency
- Monitor and make recommendations for disease and pest management