The General Manager of Seed Operations leads the Company’s seed business division, including operational leadership of five potato seed farms and a greenhouse facility, supply chain management and customer business development, and general management responsibilities including P&L responsibility of the division. The role will directly supervise the site Farm Managers and collaborate with the Vice President of Farming Operations, Seed Quality and Sales Manager, and other Company leaders.
With operations in 12 states CSS Farms is one of the largest growers of chip, seed, and specialty potatoes in North America. We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and we are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
Mission Statement: CSS Farms, a multi-state agricultural business, strives to provide innovative solutions and superior quality and service to our customers. We proudly and relentlessly continue to meet the highest standards of stewardship when it comes to the three things we value most: our land, our employees, and our communities.
The primary responsibility of this position is to efficiently manage the seed farm operations to ensure excellent customer and vendor satisfaction, so the division meets its financial goals and objectives.
- Supervise seed farm managers and serve as point person for operational and production-based decision making on the seed farms and greenhouse facility
- Build crop and variety plans by location
- Ensure best agronomic, operational, and storage management practices are being implemented and executed across all locations by working with on-site managers in order to produce high quality disease-free seed
- Consult with farm managers to acquire land suitable for potato production and ensure a sustainable crop rotation is being utilized to promote yield and quality targets
- Coordinate and communicate sanitation protocols, quality control measures, and sampling plans
Supply Chain Management and Customer Business Development
- Manage internal and external seed supply chains and forecast seed needs by collaborating with locations and customers
- Provide leadership to customer development and contracting process, including tracking of current season inventories and manage sales on open volume
- Oversee customer service and support through interaction, field visits, coordinating shipments, logistical solutions, and meeting customer demands
- Develop industry relationships, seek out potential customers, and promote CSS Farms
General Management Responsibilities
- Responsible for division P&L, execution of business model, and strategic objectives
- Assist site managers in developing annual budgets and proposing capital expenditures
- Provide ad-hoc leadership in the areas safety, HR, and other duties as assigned