The Controller is responsible for managing the general accounting activities of the business, and compiling and analyzing data to provide management with accurate financial analysis which will be utilized in decision making and performance monitoring. This position plays a key role in the establishment of and adherence to accounting policies and procedures as well as analytic support for financial reporting.
The position reports to the Chief Financial Officer to effectively maintain and control the general ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization, applying the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The essential duties include managing the accounting activities of the business, assisting management with development of tools and reports, process documentation and ad-hoc analysis. Provide objective insights, timely reporting, effective analysis and overall finance support to ensure productive management reviews, financially based decisions and proactive responses to identify and mitigate risk.
- Lead the preparation of monthly, quarterly and year-end financial reports including analysis and evaluation of the data
- Manage the month-end close process, and ensure timely execution of month-end close
- Recommend and administer implementation of changes to accounting procedures and reports in an ongoing effort to continuously improve the quality of information and services provided
- Evaluate financial implications of specific business decisions/opportunities and advise management accordingly to ensure achievement of targeted financial performance
- Provide analytical support on cross-functional projects as requested
- Gather, compile, analyze, prepare and summarize data for complex financial projects/subjects such as planning, formulating and conducting financial studies to define performance plans for short and long-range business goals
- Evaluate financial implications of specific business decisions/opportunities and advise management accordingly to ensure targeted financial performance achievement
- Exercise judgment to determine appropriate course of action and prepare business recommendation based on sound financial analysis
- Manage the financial planning, budgeting and forecasting processes
- Compile data to determine insightful analysis that anticipates change and drives decision making
- Provide effective and timely financial information, thoughtful business insights/analytics and business performance evaluations to ensure that business leaders are effective in creating and executing the business segment’s strategy and operating plan
- Provide concise and effective communication of financial results in a timely manner
- Maintain well-organized and efficient departmental files to provide easy accessibility to pertinent information
- Lead preparation of GAAP internal financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from departments
- Review and/or prepare general ledger entries and review and/or prepare account reconciliations by maintaining accurate records and files
- Manage year-end audit requested data and provide any interface as needed
- Review and/or prepare various tax and corporate reports on a timely basis, as needed
- Lead corporate tax efforts with external tax firms
- Research GAAP related issues and make recommendations, as needed
- Manage the businesses’ insurance program
- Other duties as assigned.